Thursday, May 5, 2011

comida

I thought it was fitting to put the title of my post in Spanish today .... cause of Cinco de Mayo.... ha I thought it was clever. But comida means foods & today all I can think about is food. Don't ask me why, but maybe its cause I'm super excited about my Mexican feast I'm having tonight! So not only am I craving quesadillas, chips & salsa, & tacos, but I also have developed the biggest sweet tooth lately & I'm already thinking about what I'm going to have for dessert. I know- perfect timing with swim suit season coming up. Blahhh.


BUT I found this recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal ('boatmeal') that will 100% satisfy my dessert craving. Its also 'healthified' which I hope will help counteract the enormous amounts of Mexican food I plan to consume tonight. I found it on Chocolate Covered Katie & after looking at her blog, my mouth is watering. I am going to attempt this tonight since I'll be in Salt Lake & my dad can help :) Wish me luck!

Cookie Dough Boatmeal
(Serves One!)
(boatmeal = baked oatmeal)
  • 1/2 cup oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • sweetener, such as 1 1/2 T maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I omitted, but I have no sweet tooth.)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g)
  • 1/4 cup milk, creamer, juice, or water (I used 60g)
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • Handful of chocolate chips (and a few for the top, too!)
  • Optional: unless you like the taste of fat-free baking, add 1-2T oil, vegan butter, or nut butter (If oil, scale the milk back a little. If vegan butter, scale the salt back a little.)
  • Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in chocolate chip cookies)
Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3-5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first if you want your cakes to pop out.


What are your plans for Cinco de Mayo??

No comments:

Post a Comment