Tuesday, April 12, 2011

something to think about

I know I have talked about my 'Body Image, Weight Management, & Self-Esteem' class before, but I just have to tell you how much I love it. After every class I feel so positive & grateful for the things I have & the body I have been given. I can't really explain how uplifting and revitalizing it is. Everywhere you go the media or your peers or even complete strangers are tearing you down & telling you if you don't look a certain way, you are a bad person or not as good as they are. There is always going to be someone prettier, thinner, tanner, or better then you. You'll always find that person! So why beat yourself up to be that when no matter how hard you try, you'll never be as good as they are?? It's the truth. You are beautiful! Don't fall into the comparison trap! But I know that has happened to me. I get all ready & feel really cute until I see a gorgeous girl & instantly feel bad about myself! Why do we do that??

I recently attended a Body Image workshop & the speaker was from the Center for Change (An eating disorder rehabilitation facility here in Orem.) She gave us some statistics and research about the pressures we face to be thin. I found it really interesting & totally crazy, so I thought I'd share!

  • 60% of Miss America contestants & 69% of Playboy centerfolds are 15% or more below expected weight for their height.
  • EVERY magazine cover takes at least 6 months to airbrush.
  • While filming 'Friends', Jennifer Aniston exercised 8 hours a day, was on the Zone Diet, & was a chain smoker.
  • Almost every actress has a body double.
  • We can now airbrush motion pictures & tv commericals.
  • 68% of kids who watch tv in their rooms, have disordered eating.
  • 90% of all women diet regularly.
  • 90% of diets fail after 1 year.
  • 98% of diets fail after 5 years.
  • Most dieters re-gain all the weight lost, plus another 10%.
  • 14% of 5 year old girls diet
  • 50% of 9 year old girls diet.
  • 1 out of 4 college girls have an eating disorder
  • The average American women is 5'3, weighs 164 lbs, & is a size 14.
  • The average model is 5'11, weighs 117 lbs, & wears a size 2.


The speaker showed us some magazine covers & what the cover girls actually looked like...huge difference! She also showed us a clip from an episode of Oprah where a 5 YEAR OLD girl thought she was FAT!!! A 5 year old! It was so sad, but it's becoming more common.

ahh I don't even know how to describe how sad I am that so many people feel this way about themselves. The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty is onto something & are promoting such a beautiful thing.

 "I think that whatever size or shape body you have, it's important to embrace it and get down! The female body is something that's so beautiful. I wish women would be proud of their bodies and not dis other women for being proud of theirs!"
- Christina Aguilera

No comments:

Post a Comment