Tuesday, March 8, 2011

currently obsessed.

As most people know,
I'm VERY interested in health.
Hence my major... Community Health.
I've always enjoyed nutrition classes and learning about new ways I can improve my health.
I love trying new 'healthy' foods...which to some is a little gross.
I get made fun of a little about the things I eat.
But as I've discovered more healthy living, exercise, and wellness blogs,
I realized I'm not the only one who feels this passionate about a healthy lifestyle.
Call me a freak, but I'm not as bad as some.
I still have a major sweet tooth & drink diet coke like its water.

That being said...
I want to share with you some of my new favorite healthy foods
try them if you dare ;)

Kale.

This leafy green falls under the cabbage family.
I know what you are thinking.... sick right?
Well it is so so good for you.
Packed with powerful antioxidants, vitamin k & C, & calcium.
It is also actually considered an anti-inflammatory.
This puppy contains sulforaphane- a potent anti-cancer property.
Put in a yummy salad or hide it in your favorite smoothie if you must,
but please please try!

Almond Milk.
I've never been a huge fan of milk.
For sure has to be skim milk or I add in water... gross I know.
I love soy milk & the other day I was at my parents' house
& they had Vanilla Almond milk.
(my dad reads a lot of nutrition books & articles & always has weird stuff in the house
-now you see where I get it)
I poured some of it into a plain granola cereal.
Ummm WOW.
so good!

hummus.
It is made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, olive oil, salt & garlic.
I love to dip pita chips in it or spread it on some wheat bread for a sandwich.
It is a great, low calorie alternative for mayo or miracle whip.
Looks a bit nasty, but if you can get past that I promise you'll love!

grapefruit.
My dad used to eat this with breakfast when I was growing up.
Normally I'm not a sour-loving person,
but for some reason I like grapefruit way more then any other citrus fruit.
I also heard it has major fat burning antioxidants.... don't know if thats true
but thats always a plus!

fiberplus cereal.
I like plain, not-so sugary cereal
(except for Honeybunches of Oats, I could eat a whole box in one sitting!)
This fiberplus is amazing.
Fiber keeps you feeling full & also pushes through your system...
ha if you know what i mean ;)
With some almond milk, it is a perfect way to start my day.

greek yogurt.
My sister introduced me to greek yogurt.
I've always been a yogurt fan, but this is soo creamy & sooo much richer then any other yogurt i've had.  
I'm hooked!
Plus very low calorie, lots of protein, gluten-free, & kosher.
Delicious!



None of these are too exotic!
Try em & let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Gir if you like Greek yogurt, you need to try fage. You can buy it the cheapest at Costco, for like $6. It is low calorie, and has 20 grams of protein per serving!! it is super creamy and so yummy!!
    I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete